It’s that day of the week again! This Mama Monday, let’s talk Clean, nontoxic bathing and diapering products for baby. A few of my girlfriends are expecting, and for their showers, I made each of them a basket of every lotion and potion baby might need for the first year. In my very biased opinion, this makes a great gift. As a new mom, there’s nothing worse than having to read a label or do extra research when you’re sleep-deprived and short on time. Giving at least one product from each category below will ensure she doesn’t have to lift a finger (except maybe to reorder) for the first 6-12 months. And, all of the products I list below I have used and loved; these are tried and true favorites in our home.*
Baby Wash, Bubble Bath, Baby Shampoo:
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash: I love, love, love the subtle scent of this gentle, foaming shampoo and body wash. It’s not tear-free, so be careful, but the foam consistency makes that less of a concern.
- Zoe Organics Bath Wash: a gentle, castile-based foaming soap. Again, not tear-free. None of the natural formulas are!
- Erbaviva Baby Shampoo & Wash: gentle and smells great.
- Acure Organics Bare Baby 4 in 1 : Great for once kids are old enough to enjoy bubbles; this formula can be used as shampoo, body wash, hand wash and bubble bath.
- Badger Zinc Oxide Diaper Cream: my favorite for sensitive bottoms that are prone to diaper rash (zinc oxide is a miracle ingredient for diaper rash)
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm: my favorite for infancy – it’s antibacterial, but so gentle and great for preventing diaper rash, and great for soothing thrush, itchy bug bites, scrapes, chicken pox, minor rashes, and burns.
- Zoe Organics Diaper Balm: creates a natural barrier to protect from moisture and bacteria; made with organic beeswax, cocoa butter, tea tree oil, calendula, lavender and chamomile.
- Erbaviva Diaper Cream: made with soothing aloe and echinacea, which reduces redness, inflammation and pain.
Baby Lotion and Cream:
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Lotion: again, the scent is unbeatable (it’s also available unscented). I also like the consistency of this lotion; it is absorbed readily by the skin and spreads very easily.
- Zoe Organics Cream: this is a richer cream, and can be used by the whole family. It’s especially great for those who are extremely sensitive to essential oils, as it is fragrance-free.
- Erbaviva Baby Lotion: calming, moisturizing, and gentle, with a lovely, subtle scent.
- Acure Organics Bare Baby Lotion: this is a great cost-effective option, and the whole family can share it.
- Zoe Organics Baby Oil: organic sunflower, jojoba and olive oils deeply nourish and protect baby’s skin. Organic lavender and chamomile soothe and calm.
- Lina Hanson Global Baby & Sensitive Skin Serum: when baby is allergic to just about everything, this is the answer.
- Babytime by Especial Might Shield Bug Repellant Lotion: my favorite for when children are too young for sprays (I worry about inhalation risk). This light, moisturizing lotion gets in every nook and cranny and between all of baby’s rolls.
- Badger Anti-Bug Balm Stick, Badger After-Bug Stick, Badger Anti-Bug Shake & Spray: These formulas are great. I especially love the sticks for travel.
- Badger Baby Sunscreen SPF 30: this lotion has a nice, creamy consistency that is readily absorbed. We always have this on hand.
- Babo Botanicals Sheer Zinc Continuous Spray Sunscreen SPF 30 is great for toddlers on the move, and one of the only Clean spray sunscreens on the market. Babo Botanicals Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 is great for little babes, and Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sport Stick SPF 30 is perfect for faces and ears.
- Erbaviva Baby Sunscreen
Other Lotions, Potions, Wipes and Sticks:
- Zoe Organics Breathe Balm Stick: this will save your life, or at least your night. It is basically the natural version of Vick’s Vapo-Rub. Sleep tight.
- Zoe Organics Everything Balm Stick: keep this in your purse. It really does work on anything and everything.
- Clean Well Hand Sanitizer: the only hand sanitizer you’ll ever need. And it’s safe if children immediately put their hands in their mouths after applying.
- Acure Organics Unscented Argan Oil Towelettes: These make great face wipes, diaper wipes, sticky-finger wipes, and clean-up wipes. They are awesome.
- Pommade Divine: this is nature’s Neosporin. Perfect for the whole family.
Children’s Toothpaste & Toothbrushes:
- Jack & Jill Childrens Toothpaste: the only toothpaste we use. Totally safe, flouride-free, sulfate-free, artificial color and dye-free.
- Jack & Jill Childrens Bio Toothbrush: a biodegradeable toothbrush that’s ergonomically correct for little hands.
*Also pictured, and available at Whole Foods, are two absolute essentials (in my humble opinion): Weleda Calendula Cream Bath, which does not double as shampoo, is the perfect creamy, non-lathering body wash for baby’s first few months. Nothing is gentler. I loved it, and I’ll be purchasing this again for baby #2. Also, baby’s first toothbrush should be a chewy, silicone version, like the little banana, pictured. This makes teeth brushing fun and not-so-scary for little ones.
Whew! That was a lot, but those are truly the best of the best, and I’ve tried them all. In my opinion, The Choosy Chick and Integrity Botanicals have the best selection of Clean baby & child products. Follain is also great. And, it’s no wonder – all the owners are parents. 😉
What else do you want to learn about on Mama Mondays? Currently on the schedule is my pregnancy skincare routine, essentials for new mamas, and my favorite books about conceiving, pregnancy and baby.
By the way, when people say that you gain an hour of sleep during daylight savings, I’m assuming that they do not have children….
I’ve spent almost a decade immersed in the world of green beauty and nontoxic living. I want to help you find everything from a killer lipstick to a nontoxic laundry detergent, and beyond. Subscribe to a healthier lifestyle with me.
Thank you for subscribing!